Why Computer Science?
Personal Interaction With Faculty
Morris computer science students work closely with faculty and are provided with numerous opportunities for:
- Study abroad experiences
- Research projects with faculty
- Many are funded through the universitywide Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) and local Morris Academic Partnership (MAP) program.
Our very active Computer Science Club and student Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) chapter provide excellent opportunities for students to get to know each other.
The computer science faculty organizes events like guest speakers and field trips to conferences and businesses as well as social events like gaming parties and movie nights.
We also host an annual programming contest with participants from the Morris campus and throughout the region.
About a third of Morris graduates continue their education pursuing graduate degrees. Recent graduates have gone on to PhD programs at well known, renowned universities such as:
- Carnegie Mellon
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst
- Brown University
- Georgia Tech
- University of California at San Diego
- University of Colorado
Many Morris computer science alumni seek full-time employment directly following graduation and are employed at a variety of well-known companies including:
- Alliance Technical Systems
- Sun Microsystems
- US Bank
- Anderson Consulting
- Mayo Clinic
- Secure Computing
- West Publishing
Morris graduates often acquire these jobs through summer internships and through our network of very active alumni.
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research
- Paron ’16 Coordinates K–12 Environmental Education
- Three Morris Faculty Members Receive Grant-in-Aid Awards