Why Elementary Education?
Acclaimed College For Preparing Teachers
Consistently recognized as one of the best public liberal arts colleges in the nation, the University of Minnesota, Morris is an excellent choice for one of the most important decisions you’ll make—preparing for your future as an elementary education teacher.
The Morris educational experience rivals that of any college in the country—big or small, public or private. Morris is a small college with a well-deserved reputation for reasonable tuition rates, small class sizes, and the high quality of both faculty and students attending the school.
Morris is known as an “education school.” Its education programs are rigorous and require hard work, but the end result is excellent teachers. The elementary education program coordinator routinely receives phone calls from area administrators encouraging Morris graduates to apply for positions in their schools.
Accredited By National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
The fully accredited Teacher Education Programs at Morris are organized, implemented, and assessed according to the requirements and standards of the Minnesota Board of Teaching (BOT) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
Talented Elementary Education Facility
The Division of Education’s Teacher Education Program features a talented, award-winning elementary education faculty committed to collaboration and to personalized instruction. Instructional technology is a key component throughout the program, as are opportunities for student and faculty participation in multicultural and international educational experiences.
Positive Relationships Support Sucessful Feild Experiences
Morris maintains positive relationships with cooperating schools and teachers. In a recent survey, 100 percent of respondents reported positive communication and partnership with Morris education programs.
These relationships ensure positive learning experiences for students in the Morris elementary education program. Morris students engage in field experiences throughout Minnesota, Texas, Illinois, and in countries around the world.
Morris elementary education students:
- Pursue the study of education and education’s role in society
- Acquire the knowledge and skills to meet the highest standards for excellence in teaching
- Gain extensive experience with children and adolescents in a variety of settings
- Complete a major and teaching licensure program
- Prepare to teach grades K-6 with optional preprimary or middle level endorsements
- Prepare for graduate study in education
- Earn a state of Minnesota teaching licensure
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited
- Pete Wyckoff and Timna Wyckoff Awarded Elite Science Policy Fellowships
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research