History introduces students to the human past and the need to approach decision-making with a clear awareness of a broad range of choices. Through courses exploring various cultures, periods, and human experiences, students come to understand the construction of historical knowledge, the nature of historical sources, and the process of historical inquiry.
- The curriculum includes courses exploring human history from numerous places and perspectives with special offerings in:
- Asian history
- Latin American history
- Gender studies
- American Indian history
Students enjoy exceptionally close interaction with faculty. Our largest course is capped at 60 students; many upper-division courses are limited to 15–25 students.
Morris students are part of the University of Minnesota system, benefiting from access to the resources of a top research institution. Few liberal arts colleges can make this claim.
The student-designed senior research project and coursework emphasizing analysis of primary and secondary sources, comprehensive problem solving, and effective communication skills, make a Morris graduate a strong competitor in the job market.
The Morris campus is home to the West Central Historical Research Center, a repository of unique historical documents and artifacts covering western Minnesota and the surrounding area. Students may investigate both the items in this collection and the process of maintaining a professional historical archive.
Nestled on the prairies of western Minnesota, the Morris campus is not only surrounded by Native American and northern plains history, it is a part of it. Faculty from various disciplines have expertise in these areas, providing students with both a focused and an interdisciplinary approach to these subjects.
- Morris Once Again Named a “Best College Value” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- David Roberts to Study Unusual Polynomials with NSF Grant
- Raths ’19 Gets Ready to Practice Optometry at PineCone Vision Center
- Larson ’18 Gains Classroom Experience at Butterfly Hill
- Bean ’17 Makes Headlines at the Morris Sun Tribune
- Carson ’17 Gains Classroom Experience at Freedom School
- Coria ’18 and Palmer ’17 Receive 2016 Scholarly Excellence in Equity and Diversity Awards