Jonathan Campbell currently serves as the Director of Jazz Studies and Professor of Saxophone at University of Minnesota, Morris. Before joining the faculty at UMM, he has previously served as the Director of Jazz Studies at University of Utah and the Interim Director of Instrumental Music at Olympic College in Bremerton, WA. His high level of artistry and commitment to music advocacy has led him to become increasingly recognized as a performer, educator, and composer in both professional and academic realms of music. Because of his commitment to jazz research and education, he was previouslyselected as a presenter for the 2014 national Jazz Education Network conference held in Dallas, TX, and the 2015 UMEA conference in St. George, UT.
Jonathan has performed along side several great jazz musicians such as Ingrid Jensen, Jon Stowell, Ravi Coltrane, and Geoff Keezer. In addition to receiving two DownBeat awards for jazz performance, he performed with the nationally acclaimed Jazz Lab Band I and Vanguard Combo while studying at University of Northern Colorado. Jonathan was also the collegiate saxophone winner of the 2003 Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival Soloist Competition. His musicals endeavors have led him to perform globally in countries such as Spain, Croatia, Italy, and Thailand.
Jonathan received a Doctoral of Arts Degree in Jazz Studies from University of Northern Colorado, and his dissertation is titled “Beyond Harmony: Incorporating Non-Harmonic Elements of Jazz Improvisation through Curriculum and Pedagogy.” He also holds a Master of Music degree in composition and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Central Washington University.
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited
- Pete Wyckoff and Timna Wyckoff Awarded Elite Science Policy Fellowships
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research