History of UMM Philosophy
The Morris campus Philosophy discipline was founded in 1963 byTed Uehling.
Howard Wettstein andPeter French joined the department a few years later, and in 1974, the three of them established one of the most highly regarded journals for analytic philosophy:Midwest Studies in Philosophy.
In 1978, the Australian philosopherJ.L. Mackie served as a visiting professor.
Ishtiyaque Haji was a member of our department from 1992 until 2003.
We have hosted the annualMidwest Philosophy Colloquium since 1975. Previous colloquium speakers have included:
- Donald Davidson
- Saul Kripke
- Fred Dretske
- Gilbert Harman
- David Gauthier
- Keith Donnellan
- Alvin Goldman
- David Kaplan
- Paul Benacerraf
- Keith Lehrer
- Jonathan Bennett
- John Searle
- Robert Solomon
- Phillipa Foot
- Nancy Cartwright
- Gary Watson
- Stephen Stich
- and many others
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research
- Paron ’16 Coordinates K–12 Environmental Education
- Three Morris Faculty Members Receive Grant-in-Aid Awards