Preparing for Physician Assistant School
The requirements to prepare for a physician assistant training program vary by institution To be admitted to the three-year Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at Augsburg, one of only two physician assistant training programs in Minnesota, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in science coursework
While students are generally not required to major in a specific area, coursework in biology, chemistry, statistics, and psychology are recommended. Work with your adviser to select appropriate courses for the program you'd like to attend.
To strengthen your application, consider including the following in your undergraduate career.
- Direct patient care: At Morris, students have access to opportunities including volunteering or working as a nurse’s aid or EMT (emergency medical technician with the local ambulance service), all at facilities close to campus.
- Service learning/student engagement: Because physician assistants often work in underserved areas, work among the underserved or disadvantaged is especially valued. Morris offers many opportunities to serve.
- Shadowing and employment in medical professions: Thanks to strong relationships between the University of Minnesota, Morris and local medical providers, students may shadow medical professionals at the Stevens Community Medical Center or pursue undergraduate employment with Stevens County Ambulance and Emergency Services.
- Pertinent upper-level classes: Advanced coursework in biology is especially recommended.
- Morris Premieres Visiting Jazz Artist Program
- Theatre Arts Discipline Announces 2016–17 Season
- Morris Makes 2017 U.S. News Top Public Liberal Arts Colleges List
- Students and Faculty Members Partner on HHMI Summer Research Projects
- Washington Monthly and Colleges of Distinction Commend Morris
- Three in Three: Morris Teaching Alumni Are Consecutive ISD 200 Teachers of the Year
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited