Preparing for Physician Assistant School
The requirements to prepare for a physician assistant training program vary by institution To be admitted to the three-year Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at Augsburg, one of only two physician assistant training programs in Minnesota, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in science coursework
While students are generally not required to major in a specific area, coursework in biology, chemistry, statistics, and psychology are recommended. Work with your adviser to select appropriate courses for the program you'd like to attend.
To strengthen your application, consider including the following in your undergraduate career.
- Direct patient care: At Morris, students have access to opportunities including volunteering or working as a nurse’s aid or EMT (emergency medical technician with the local ambulance service), all at facilities close to campus.
- Service learning/student engagement: Because physician assistants often work in underserved areas, work among the underserved or disadvantaged is especially valued. Morris offers many opportunities to serve.
- Shadowing and employment in medical professions: Thanks to strong relationships between the University of Minnesota, Morris and local medical providers, students may shadow medical professionals at the Stevens Community Medical Center or pursue undergraduate employment with Stevens County Ambulance and Emergency Services.
- Pertinent upper-level classes: Advanced coursework in biology is especially recommended.
- Morris Once Again Named a “Best College Value” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance
- David Roberts to Study Unusual Polynomials with NSF Grant
- Raths ’19 Gets Ready to Practice Optometry at PineCone Vision Center
- Larson ’18 Gains Classroom Experience at Butterfly Hill
- Bean ’17 Makes Headlines at the Morris Sun Tribune
- Carson ’17 Gains Classroom Experience at Freedom School
- Coria ’18 and Palmer ’17 Receive 2016 Scholarly Excellence in Equity and Diversity Awards