Preparing for Physician Assistant School
The requirements to prepare for a physician assistant training program vary by institution To be admitted to the three-year Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies at Augsburg, one of only two physician assistant training programs in Minnesota, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 in science coursework
While students are generally not required to major in a specific area, coursework in biology, chemistry, statistics, and psychology are recommended. Work with your adviser to select appropriate courses for the program you'd like to attend.
To strengthen your application, consider including the following in your undergraduate career.
- Direct patient care: At Morris, students have access to opportunities including volunteering or working as a nurse’s aid or EMT (emergency medical technician with the local ambulance service), all at facilities close to campus.
- Service learning/student engagement: Because physician assistants often work in underserved areas, work among the underserved or disadvantaged is especially valued. Morris offers many opportunities to serve.
- Shadowing and employment in medical professions: Thanks to strong relationships between the University of Minnesota, Morris and local medical providers, students may shadow medical professionals at the Stevens Community Medical Center or pursue undergraduate employment with Stevens County Ambulance and Emergency Services.
- Pertinent upper-level classes: Advanced coursework in biology is especially recommended.
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited
- Pete Wyckoff and Timna Wyckoff Awarded Elite Science Policy Fellowships
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research