Admission Requirements for the Elementary Education Program
For admission to the major’s two-year course sequence that begins each fall, students must follow the application procedure. Information sessions are held periodically to provide an overview of admissions and program requirements.
Students transferring from other schools must be admitted to Morris before admission to the elementary major can be offered. Transfer students should seek academic planning advice from the elementary education faculty in advance of application to the program.
Minimum GPA of 2.5 overall, 2.75 in licensure area(s), and 2.75 in Education courses. No grade below C- will be accepted in these courses.
Approximately 60 semester credits completed by the end of sophomore year.
Your APAS must be coded as Elementary Education Major.
Satisfactory completion of ED 2121 Introduction to Education; ED 2111 Tutor-Aide Practicum; ED 2131 Foundations of Reading; PSY 1061 Introduction to the Development of the Child and Adolescent or Ed 2601 Development, Learning, and Teaching with a grade of C- or higher before starting Education classes. No S/N courses in license areas unless it is only offered S/N.
Completion of Minnesota National Evaluation Series (NES) Essential Academic Skills Tests. These are state required tests that you must complete before starting Elementary Education coursework. You must pass all three subtests (Reading, Writing and Math) before you are able to student teach. To register and find more information on state required tests, go to mtle.nesinc.com.
- Theatre Arts Discipline Announces 2016–17 Season
- Morris Makes 2017 U.S. News Top Public Liberal Arts Colleges List
- Students and Faculty Members Partner on HHMI Summer Research Projects
- Washington Monthly and Colleges of Distinction Commend Morris
- Three in Three: Morris Teaching Alumni Are Consecutive ISD 200 Teachers of the Year
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited
- Pete Wyckoff and Timna Wyckoff Awarded Elite Science Policy Fellowships