Social Science Division
The social sciences are concerned with the structure and dynamics of social systems, the study of individuals and groups and how human and non-human behavior influences the world around us. The Division of Social Sciences offers eight majors from which students can choose.
The Division also provides courses that contribute to a variety of interdisciplinary majors and minors, such as:
- American Indian Studies
- Environmental Studies
- Latin American Area Studies
- Human Services
- African and Black American Studies
- Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies
- Social Science major for teacher licensure
Social Science students participate in internships at local, state, federal, and international levels. Many have worked closely with faculty to co-author papers and present research at national conferences. For more information visit our discipline links or drop by the division office at 109 Camden Hall.
The mission of the Division of Social Sciences is to foster a dynamic academic climate and to support support faculty and student scholarship. The Division of Social Sciences supports the mission of the University of Minnesota, Morris by:
- Providing essential aspects of a liberal arts education through understanding humans in their diversity as expressed in their histories, ideas, institutions, and behaviors.
- Providing service in cooperation with other offices and programs to the campus and the greater community that contribute to the discovery and dissemination of knowledge to the Social Sciences and related fields.
- Providing our students with core knowledge of their chosen majors, and competence in the methodologies, techniques, and skills required in their fields.
- University of Minnesota, Morris Teacher Education Program Nationally Accredited
- Pete Wyckoff and Timna Wyckoff Awarded Elite Science Policy Fellowships
- McIntosh Champions Discovery-Based Student Learning Using the Haystack Radio Telescope
- Barry McQuarrie and Harrison Piehowski ’19 Tackle Familiar Mathematical Models
- Cristina Ortiz Earns Institute on Diversity, Equity and Advocacy Multicultural Research Award
- Fiske Guide to Colleges 2017 Includes Morris
- Schrock ’17 Learns Job Skills through Computer Science Research