Biology Research Opportunities & Collaborations
Expanding knowledge through collaborative extra curricular research with faculty is at the heart of the Morris biology experience.
Research is at the core of the Morris biology program. More than 50 percent of Morris biology majors conduct independent research at Morris and across the country.
The Biology Discipline was one of 47 biology departments at small undergraduate colleges and universities in the United States to receive a grant from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), which has funded a summer undergraduate program for biology and other science students.
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)
- UROP is a University-wide program that provides academically talented students the opportunity to earn up to $1,400 assisting faculty with scholarly and creative projects.
- Morris Academic Partners (MAP)
- This program is unique to the Morris campus, providing paid research partnerships to academically talented, qualified third-year students. The standard stipend is $2,000.
Examples of Publications by Morris Students and Faculty
- Schield, D. and H. Waye. In press. Thamnophis radix (Plains Garter Snake) tonic immobility. Herpetological Review.
- Wyckoff, P. H., B. Hucka, A. Shaffer and M. Bombyk. In review. Surprising negative association between invasive European buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) and invasive earthworms in west central Minnesota
- Wyckoff, P. H.,R. Greiman, T. Krueger and L. Luce. (2012) Forest-dynamics at Minnesota’s prairie-forest border driven by invasive buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) and native bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa). J. Torrey Bot. Society. 139(3):311-322.
- Wyckoff, P. H. and R. Bowers. 2010. Response of the prairie-forest border to climate change: impacts of increasing drought may be mitigated by increasing CO2. J. of Ecology 98:197-208.
Examples of Conference Presentations
- Bombyk, R., A. Bykowski, C. Draper, E. Savelkoul, L. Sullivan and T. J. O. Wyckoff (2008). Comparison of types and antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus from conventional and organic dairies in west-central Minnesota, USA. H Appli Microbiol. 104(6), 1726-31.
- Potter, R, S. Smidt, H. Lindquist and P. Wyckoff. 2012. Impact of climate on growth of Acer saccharum (sugar maple) at the prairie-forest border in western Minnesota. Abstract submitted for presentation at the Ecological Society of America (ESA) annual meeting, Portland, OR.
- Wyckoff, T. J. O, P. H. Wyckoff, J. A. Hanson, J. M. Davison, M. M. Gerber,and J. R. Skala. 2012. Changes in antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus milk isolates from a west-central Minnesota dairy herd during transition to organic management . American Society of Microbiology annual meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Aday, J. and P. H. Wyckoff. 2010. White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) as facilitators of a European buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica) invasion into western Minnesota forests. ESA annual meetings, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Anderson, T.M., M.L. Rynerson, and A.P. Windschitl. 2009. Comparison of overwintering macroinvertebrate communities in a prairie pothole lake in west central Minnesota. Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society
- Hanson, J.A., Gerber, M.M., and Wyckoff, T.J.O. (2009) Surveillance of antibiotic susceptibility of Staphylococcus in milk samples from a dairy herd while transitioning to organic management. North Central Branch of the American Society for Microbiology 69th Annual Meeting, LaCrosse, WI.
- Skala, J.R., Vang, K., Nygaard, L.A. and Wyckoff, T.J.O. (2009) Examination of Phenotypic and Genotypic Pirlimycin Resistance in Staphylococcus from Milk Samples from Conventional and Organic Dairies in West-central Minnesota. American Society for Microbiology 109th General Meeting; Philadelphia, PA.
- Skala, J.R., Vang, K. and Wyckoff, T.J.O. (2008) Distribution of lincosamide inactivation gene lnu(A) in Staphylococcus strains phenotypically sensitive to the lincosamide pirlimycin. North Central Branch of the American Society for Microbiology 68th Annual Meeting, St. Cloud, MN.
- Anderson, T.M., A.P. Windschitl, and M.L. Rynerson. 2008. Life under the ice: Assessing winter macroinvertebrate communities in prairie pothole lakes in west central Minnesota. Bulletin of the North American Benthological Society
- Wyckoff, P. H. and R. Bowers, In review. Response of the prairie/forest border to climate change: impacts of increasing drought may be mitigated by increasing CO2. Submitted to the J. of Ecol January (2009).
- Gooch, V.D.; Arun Mehra, Larrondo, A.L., Fox, J., Touroutoutoudis, M., Loros, J. and Dunlap, J. (2008).Fully codon-optimized N. crassa luciferase uncovers novel temperature characteristics of the clock Eukaryotic Cell 7:28-37