Skip navigation

Chemistry Research Opportunities & Collaborations

  • UMM Students

University of Minnesota, Morris chemistry majors are strongly encouraged to experience the excitement of searching for answers to real-world problems. There is no lab manual; this is research, and there is no better way to learn chemistry than to apply it to your own research project. There are multitudes of research opportunities for undergraduates in chemistry, both at Morris and at institutions all over the country and even the world.


Students begin their undergraduate research careers right here by taking Introduction to Research, a two-credit course required of all sophomore chemistry majors. Many students choose to continue their research experiences by carrying out a directed study, being involved in a Morris Academic Partnership (MAP) or the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP), or by working one-on-one with a faculty member over the summer.


Perhaps you think you would like to do undergraduate research, but don’t think you can spare the time during the academic year. Perhaps you’d rather investigate the synthesis of novel amino acids in sunny southern California, instead of working for the county road crew next summer. If this is you, then ample opportunities exist for summer undergraduate research at Morris and at sites across the United States and abroad.

How do I get started? If you are interested in working on an undergraduate research project, you should think about the general area of research in which you are most interested, then speak with a Morris chemistry faculty member whose interests best match yours. Find out what research projects he/she is currently working on or describe your own interests.

Grant programs: There are excellent sources of financial support available to Morris students who are pursuing undergraduate research:

  • MAP is a Morris campus initiative that pays students a healthy stipend to carry out research during the academic year (some MAP research can be completed over the summer as well)
  • UROP is a competitive and prestigious undergraduate grant program. Unlike the MAP funding, UROP-supported research is driven by the student. This is a chance for students to get funding for projects they develop and propose. Please contact the Morris Academic Center for Enrichment at 320-589-7014 for information, forms, etc.

Research Elsewhere

To start your search for the off-campus research experience that is right for you, check out:

  • National Science Foundation (NSF). The NSF is an outstanding place to begin your search. Research Experience for Undergrads (REU) sites are scattered all over the United States, and many Morris campus students have gained great research experience in REU programs during the summer. Search by location or by the type of science you are interested in.
  • National Institutes of Health. This site provides resources for summer research opportunities in the biomedical field.
  • International Research Experience for Undergraduates (IREU) This is an American Chemical Society exchange program where students spend ten weeks working at a university abroad (France, Italy, Germany, and the United Kingdom) under the supervision of graduate students and research directors.

Most research sites are located at research universities, but several companies offer internship opportunities as well. Career Services maintains a site with very useful information regarding internship opportunities.

Current internship and Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) opportunities are posted on the bulletin board at the top of the stairs on the second floor of the Science Atrium. Additional informational materials and applications for research opportunities can be found in the file cabinet in Science 3005.