The Chamber Orchestra is the primary performance ensemble available to string players at Morris. Under the direction of Alexander Corbett, the orchestra rehearses twice per week and performs throughout the academic year in concerts on campus, in the Morris community, and on tour. Players receive a diverse performing experience through collaborations with other UMM ensembles, student soloists, and faculty soloists. In addition, the ensemble regularly hosts a variety of nationally-renowned guest performers, composers, and educators.
The Chamber Orchestra's Spring 2017 tour will feature "The Four Seasons" by Antonio Vivaldi with Dr. Eric Olson (Director of Pre-Conservatory Program at Shattuck-St. Mary's School) on solo violin. Tour stops will include cities across northern Minnesota.
An audition consisting of a solo piece and sight reading is required for admittance. Membership is open to both music and non-music majors. Email Alexander Corbett for more information.
2016-17 Chamber Orchestra Committee
- President: Andrea Wathanaphone
- Vice President: Amanda Donley
- Librarian: Lindsay Clay
- Three Morris Faculty Members Earn Grant-in-Aid Awards
- Morris Faculty and Staff Earn IAS Research and Creative Collaboratives Awards
- 24 Students and Faculty Collaborate on HHMI Summer Research Projects
- 15 Faculty and Staff Members Honored at Recognition Dinner
- Three Morris Students Named Fulbright Scholars
- Tone-Pah-Hote ’18 Is a Udall Scholar
- Gercken Receives All-University Horace T. Morse Award