Although most students will provide their own instruments, Morris has a limited amount of instruments available for rent/use to Morris students only, and only for officially approved purposes (i.e. applied lessons and/or use in ensembles).
Generally, rental requests from students enrolled in Morris’s large instrumental ensembles and applied lessons take priority over requests from other students.
Rental/use, inventory and maintenance of instruments owned by Morris are supervised by Music Discipline faculty.
The rental/usage fee is $30.00 per semester, and an additional $30.00 to take the instrument home over the summer.
All fees are non-refundable and are used for repair and maintenance costs.
- The fees are subject to change without notice.
- The summer rental fee applies to all instruments, regardless of the exemptions below.
- No instrument will be checked out without payment of fees in advance.
- With the exception of the rental fee, all other procedures also apply to mute rentals.
During the regular semester, the following instruments are exempt from the fee, when used in large instrumental ensembles:
- All percussion instruments
- Tuba, Euphonium
- Flugelhorn, Cornet
- Bass clarinet
- Bassoon, English horn
- Soprano saxophone, Baritone Saxophone
- Bass flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo Flute
- Piano, Keyboard, Organ, Harpsichord
No instrument will be checked out without a completed checkout form (including the appropriate faculty signature).
- All instruments must be returned at the end of each semester or when otherwise requested by music faculty.
- Holds will be placed on accounts of students who return their instruments after the deadline. In addition, the fee for the next rental period will be added to the students’ accounts.
- Whether covered under a rental/usage agreement or not, no Morris-owned instruments/equipment are ever to leave the Morris campus with the exception of official travel activities by large instrumental ensembles and summer rentals. Any such action will be deemed irresponsible (see below).
Students renting an instrument are responsible for proper daily maintenance and care for the instrument during the rental period.
- Students renting an instrument are responsible for the loss of, or any damage to, the instrument during the rental period, other than normal wear.
- Repair or replacement costs will be charged to the student. Students are urged never to leave instruments unattended in practice rooms or rehearsal rooms and to keep lockers and storage closets locked at all times.
- If repair/maintenance is needed for an instrument, the student is responsible for immediately notifying the appropriate music faculty member in order to get the necessary approval to obtain repair through Sarlette’s Music.
- Students found irresponsible in their use of Morris-owned instruments will be revoked the privilege to use instruments in addition to having to pay for the damage or other consequences resulting from the irresponsible action.