Skip navigation

Elementary Education


  1. Take Ed 2121, 2111, 2131, and 2601 in your second or third semester (sophomore year preferred for 2131 and 2601; it’s fine to take these in the fourth semester too but by then you’ll have applied for the program). Only 2121 and 2111 must be taken together; this is a great place to start to explore the major. We suggest taking these in the spring of your freshmen year. All are now offered in every semester. There is also an Education Intellectual Community (IC) class.
  2. Keep your GPA up. You will need 3 letters of recommendation from UMN Morris professors in the fall of your sophomore year, so establish good relationships with faculty early. (Don’t work more than 10-15 hours if you’re a full-time student.)
  3. In addition to taking two science classes (one with a lab) in different disciplines students also need to take two visual and performing arts courses and two social science courses in different disciplines. Please note that the anthropology and anatomy science classes do NOT fill this requirement. Great options for elementary teachers include the solar system class in the physics discipline, basic biology, and earth science classes. El Ed teachers will not teach much chemistry, but they DO teach basic physics (force & motion, electricity, and space science), earth science (geography, geology, etc.), and biology (both plant & animal). If you have room in your schedule, take an extra physics class. *In addition, please note that while you are working on fulfilling your general education requirements students do not need to go out of their way to take global village courses as these requirements will be fulfilled by courses taken in the education program.
  4. Volunteer (or work) in children’s fields: summer camps, babysitter/nanny jobs, after-school programs, in school volunteering on UMN Morris holidays…. Check with the UMN Morris Office of Community Engagement for after-school and evening programs with children. Join the Education Minnesota Student Program (EMSP, the student education club).
  5. Consider a school year or summer practicum working in a school overseas (4 or more weeks) or completing your student teaching abroad your senior year in an English-language school (Europe, Oceania, and Africa placements are available most years).