Please note: Students will no longer be accepted into this program after Summer 2019. Program requirements below are for current students only.
THE TOP 5 THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN PLANNING A MAJOR IN SOCIAL SCIENCE
- If you plan to enter the Secondary Education program, you may need to finish the major in three years.
- It would be wise to take care of core courses within the first two years. You need not take courses in any specific order but be aware that core courses are not necessarily offered every semester.
- Your sub-plan is the same as a minor in one of the social science disciplines. Plan your sub-plan early (preferably in your second year) and ensure that you cover all of its requirements.
- Because you may need to finish course work in three years, it is desirable to look for courses such as on-line classes or summer-school courses that may substitute for our core. Be sure to check with the discipline coordinator to confirm that the course is a valid substitute.
- If your career plan is to teach social studies, you should pick courses and a sub-plan that will make you a more effective teacher.