Updated for Fall 2020
The Chamber Orchestra will meet for in-person rehearsals on Monday’s from 6:30-9pm. The following precautions will be taken:
- Ensemble members will be at least 6 feet apart
- All will be required to wear masks for the duration of rehearsals/concerts
- Members will utilize their own stands (no stand partners)
- Enrollment will be capped at 21 to ensure social distancing measures can be observed
To ensure a safe environment for our singers, several small ensembles will be offered this fall in lieu of our large ensembles. Each small ensemble will rehearse together once per week from 5-5:30 p.m. on a day that works in students’ schedules; the remaining coursework will be online.
Placement hearings will be in-person on Tuesday, August 18 and Wednesday August 19 from 1:30-4:00 in HFA 170. To sign up, follow this link.
In order to maintain the recommended social distancing in our rehearsal spaces, MUS 1300 Symphonic Winds (and MUS 1352 Community Ensembles) will meet in-person as two independent ensembles at the times listed below:
- Woodwind & Percussion Orchestra (Mon. / Wed. / Fri., 3:30-4:30 p.m.)
- Brass & Percussion Choir (Mon. / Wed. / Fri., 4:30-5:30 p.m.)
- Wind and percussion players that cannot be accommodated in the above ensembles will be provided with alternative small ensemble opportunities.
- MUS 1331 Brass Ensemble, MUS 1301 Chamber Winds and MUS 1070 Instrumental Chamber Music will meet according to student demand.
Auditions for all wind and percussion ensembles will be held on Tuesday, August 18, 2:00-5:30 p.m. in HFA 180. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the bulletin board outside HFA 180. Returning students do not need to audition.
For more information contact Simon Tillier.
Jazz Ensembles and Jazz Combos will be taught through “hybrid” modality including some online content (guided listening sessions, recording projects) and some in-person rehearsals with appropriate social distancing and safety precautions.
Auditions/Placements: All new students to combos and jazz ensembles will need to contact Jonathan Campbell and submit online audition materials by Thursday, August 20. Materials can be pre-recorded and emailed directly. Returning students do not need to audition or submit online materials.