The Chamber Orchestra is the primary performance ensemble available to string players at Morris. Under the direction of Simon Tillier the orchestra rehearses once a week and performs throughout the academic year on campus, in the community, and on tour. The ensemble performs a diverse repertoire for both strings only and full orchestra, and frequently collaborates with faculty soloists, other campus ensembles, and visiting artists.
Course Number: MUS 1370-01
Rehearsals: Mondays 6:30-8:30pm
The Choral Ensembles at the University of Minnesota Morris exist to provide students and community members with rich opportunities in singing and community-building. Ensembles include:
- Concert Choir, an auditioned touring ensemble of 25-35 students of diverse majors, performing a wide variety of contemporary and historical works. Auditions are held each August and December/January. (1 credit; MTWTh 5-6:15 p.m.)
- Chamber Singers, an auditioned ensemble of 12-16 singers, specializing in a variety of unaccompanied classical choral works. Auditions are held each August and December/January. (1 credit; rehearsal once per week based on members’ availability)
- University Choir, a 20–25-member ensemble performing both standard choral repertoire and popular music, with a focus on musical outreach in the local community. No audition is required, and community members are encouraged to participate. (1 credit; Tuesdays 7-8:40 p.m.)
UMN Morris Symphonic Winds is the primary large instrumental ensemble for wind, brass, and percussion players at Morris. Under its conductor Simon Tillier, this auditioned group is made up of some 55 music and non-music majors from throughout the campus. Performances feature a wide variety of works from all musical periods, cultures, and styles, emphasizing core and contemporary repertoire. Symphonic Winds' cross-discipline approach provides the ensemble with the opportunity to commission and collaborate on works involving literature, theatre, film, and dance.
Chamber Music opportunities are offered to those students interested in performing one-to-a-part literature. This includes ensembles such as Chamber Winds, Brass Ensemble, Brass Quintets, Clarinet Quartets, or Saxophone Quartets.
For more information contact Simon Tillier.
Course Numbers and rehearsal times:
- MUS 1300-01 Symphonic Winds. MWF. 3:30-5:20pm
- MUS 1070 Instrumental Chamber Music. TBA
- MUS 1301 Chamber Winds. T,Th. 4-5pm
- MUS 1331 Brass Ensemble. T,Th. 5-6pm
The University of Minnesota, Morris is steeped in a tradition of high-quality jazz music. Under the direction of Steve Alford, Morris has a large jazz ensemble and numerous jazz combos for academic credit.
The ensembles consist of both music majors and non-majors who are interested in furthering their knowledge of jazz music while fine-tuning their musicianship and communication and leadership skills through practice, rehearsals, recordings, and performance opportunities.