There are a number of scholarships available to music students, intended to help cover some of the cost of their instruction. Please note the eligibility requirements of each scholarship. For current application deadlines and award amounts, please contact the music discipline. In general, most applications are due in early April.
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarship
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarships honor Clyde Johnson, professor emeritus of music, who served UMM from 1961 until 1999. The scholarships are awarded to talented University of Minnesota, Morris music majors to completely cover the fees for one year of weekly private, individual music lessons in the student’s major performance area (instrumental or voice).
The University of Minnesota, Morris will be hosting a Music Scholarship Day in February for students planning to enter college as music majors. During the event, students will have an on-campus audition with music faculty. Awards will be given based on the music faculty’s evaluation of a student’s audition as well as a brief discussion of musical background and goals. This scholarship is awarded by the Music Discipline.
The Office of Admissions will be in contact about the event with admitted students who have listed themselves as music majors. If you are interested in applying for the scholarship but unable to attend the event, please contact the Office of Admissions by April 1.
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing (any year)
- Demonstrated financial need
- Participation in performance activities, leadership roles, and satisfactory progress toward academic success.
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing at the 3rd or 4th year level, will be attending UMM the following year;
- Academic achievement, including but not limited to a high GPA, participation in UROP or URS, and/or other presentations
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition.
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to two students according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing;
- Outstanding academic performance in music courses required for the Music Major
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition
- Overall academic excellence
Students who wish to apply for these scholarships should submit the following materials to the Music Discipline Coordinator:
- A letter of application addressing the student’s performance activity and ability, academic merit, and leadership or other contributions to the discipline;
- A copy of the student’s most recent APAS report
These awards will be distributed in 2 equal parts over the two semesters of the following year as part of the recipient’s financial aid package.
Scholarship applications for the Meiss, Morrison, and Hansen scholarships are generally due in the first week of April. Please contact your adviser or the music discipline coordinator for current deadlines.
Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz Scholarship
Through generosity of the UMM Jazz Alumni and their donations to the Jim "Doc" Carlson Fund, jazz scholarships are awarded yearly to University of Minnesota, Morris students who display talent in jazz performance. The awards range from $500 to $1500 (to be applied towards the cost of attendance) and may be renewable based on a student's continued improvement and commitment to Morris's jazz program.
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
How to Audition: Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz scholarships are awarded based on talent in jazz performance and require an audition. Auditions can be done on campus or submitted online (requires video submission, details in the "instructions" PDF). All students auditioning for the Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz Scholarship must be admitted to the college in order to be considered for an award.
Instructions and Audition Materials
Jazz Scholarship Audition Materials
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (Bb)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (Eb)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (C)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (bass clef)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (Bb)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (Eb)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (C)
- Cool Blues play along
- Take the A Train play along
- Three Morris Faculty Members Earn Grant-in-Aid Awards
- Morris Faculty and Staff Earn IAS Research and Creative Collaboratives Awards
- 24 Students and Faculty Collaborate on HHMI Summer Research Projects
- 15 Faculty and Staff Members Honored at Recognition Dinner
- Three Morris Students Named Fulbright Scholars
- Tone-Pah-Hote ’18 Is a Udall Scholar
- Gercken Receives All-University Horace T. Morse Award