There are a number of scholarships available to music students, intended to help cover some of the cost of their instruction. Please note the eligibility requirements of each scholarship. For current application deadlines and award amounts, please contact the music discipline. In general, most applications are due in early April.
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarship
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarships honor Clyde Johnson, professor emeritus of music, who served UMN Morris from 1961 until 1999. Scholarships are awarded to selected University of Minnesota Morris students who are involved in music and completely cover the fees for one year of weekly individual music lessons in the student's chosen performance area. This scholarship is renewable for up to four years.
No in-person auditions will occur in 2020-21. To be considered for either of these scholarships, students should submit a video recording of a prepared piece as well as the other required application materials. Your high school music teacher or private music instructor may be able to help you create your video, and a cellphone recording will likely be sufficient. If you are applying in multiple performance areas, you should submit a separate video in each area. If you have questions or would like more information, reach out to Hannah Amundson.
The submission deadline is February 1, 2021
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing (any year)
- Demonstrated financial need
- Participation in performance activities, leadership roles, and satisfactory progress toward academic success.
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing at the 3rd or 4th year level, will be attending UMM the following year;
- Academic achievement, including but not limited to a high GPA, participation in UROP or URS, and/or other presentations
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition.
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to two students according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing;
- Outstanding academic performance in music courses required for the Music Major
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition
- Overall academic excellence
Students who wish to apply for these scholarships should submit the following materials to the Music Discipline Coordinator:
- A letter of application addressing the student’s performance activity and ability, academic merit, and leadership or other contributions to the discipline;
- A copy of the student’s most recent APAS report
These awards will be distributed in 2 equal parts over the two semesters of the following year as part of the recipient’s financial aid package.
Scholarship applications for the Meiss, Morrison, and Hansen scholarships are generally due in the first week of April. Please contact your adviser or the music discipline coordinator for current deadlines.
Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz Scholarship
Through generosity of the UMM Jazz Alumni and their donations to the Jim "Doc" Carlson Fund, jazz scholarships are awarded yearly to University of Minnesota, Morris students who display talent in jazz performance. The awards range from $500 to $1500 (to be applied towards the cost of attendance) and may be renewable based on a student's continued improvement and commitment to Morris's jazz program.
Application Deadline: March 10, 2017
How to Audition: Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz scholarships are awarded based on talent in jazz performance and require an audition. Auditions can be done on campus or submitted online (requires video submission, details in the "instructions" PDF). All students auditioning for the Jim "Doc" Carlson Jazz Scholarship must be admitted to the college in order to be considered for an award.
Instructions and Audition Materials
Jazz Scholarship Audition Materials
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (Bb)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (Eb)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (C)
- Jazz Scholarship Prepared Selection (bass clef)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (Bb)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (Eb)
- Take the A Train lead sheet (C)
- Cool Blues play along
- Take the A Train play along