There are a number of scholarships available to music students, intended to help cover some of the cost of their instruction. Please note the eligibility requirements of each scholarship. For current application deadlines and award amounts, please contact the music discipline. In general, most applications are due in early April.
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarship
Clyde Johnson Music Scholarships honor Clyde Johnson, professor emeritus of music, who served UMN Morris from 1961 until 1999. Scholarships are awarded to selected University of Minnesota Morris students who are involved in music and completely cover the fees for one year of weekly individual music lessons in the student's chosen performance area. This scholarship is renewable for up to four years.
To be considered for the Clyde Johnson Scholarship, students should prepare a performance of a solo piece.
Guidelines for the solo piece submission
Solo piece submissions much include the following:
- Your high school music teacher or private music instructor can help you create your video.
- A cell phone video recording is acceptable.
- Literature that requires a collaborative pianist should be performed with one.
- If you would like to use a UMN Morris collaborative pianist, please let us know no later than two weeks before your audition and submit a clean .pdf copy of your music at that time.
- If you are applying in multiple performance areas, you must submit a separate video in each area.
- You may choose to audition in-person on one of the designated audition dates or submit a video recording of a prepared piece as well as the other required application materials.
If you have questions or would like more information, reach out to Catherine Hoffman.
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship
The Harold and Ann Meiss Music Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing (any year)
- Demonstrated financial need
- Participation in performance activities, leadership roles, and satisfactory progress toward academic success.
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship
The Edna Murphy Morrison Scholarship will be awarded according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing at the 3rd or 4th year level, will be attending UMM the following year;
- Academic achievement, including but not limited to a high GPA, participation in UROP or URS, and/or other presentations
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition.
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship
The Hansen Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to two students according to the following criteria:
- Music major standing;
- Outstanding academic performance in music courses required for the Music Major
- Outstanding ability in applied music performance or composition
- Overall academic excellence
Students who wish to apply for these scholarships should submit the following materials to the Music Discipline Coordinator:
- A letter of application addressing the student’s performance activity and ability, academic merit, and leadership or other contributions to the discipline;
- A copy of the student’s most recent APAS report
These awards will be distributed in 2 equal parts over the two semesters of the following year as part of the recipient’s financial aid package.
Scholarship applications for the Meiss, Morrison, and Hansen scholarships are generally due in the first week of April. Please contact your adviser or the music discipline coordinator for current deadlines.