Symphonic Winds and Instrumental Chamber Music Auditions 2022
Tuesday, August 23, 2022, 2:00-5:00PM – HFA 180
Symphonic Winds and Instrumental Chamber Ensembles are open to any student, regardless of their major. Morris has a long tradition of serving players from many different musical backgrounds. Students in our ensembles typically have a wide range of abilities and experiences. We aim to accommodate all students and will endeavor to ensure that auditions are informal and friendly.
How to Join
- Complete the Sign-up Form to indicate your interest in performing in Symphonic Winds and/or instrumental chamber music.
- Sign-up for an audition on the bulletin board outside HFA 180. audition. Auditions will be held on Tuesday, August 24, 2-5 p.m. in HFA 180.
- All accepted members should be registered for MUS 1300-001 by the first rehearsal.
- Students who wish to participate in INSTRUMENTAL CHAMBER MUSIC should first audition and will then be given the appropriate permission number to register with.
Who is required to audition?
- First year or transfer students.
- Students that have not played in a UMN Morris instrumental ensemble before.
- Existing students arenotrequired to audition but should make sure they are registered to ensure a place in an ensemble.
What to perform in your audition?
Auditions are very informal and provide the opportunity for students to meet the conductor and perform 2 short pieces of their own choice or from the resource links provided below. Percussionists are invited to demonstrate their playing on whatever instrument(s) they are familiar with. If you are unable to perform on the scheduled audition day sign-up for an audition time anyway and come to meet Dr. Simon Tillier.
Students can register for MUS 1300-01 Symphonic Winds at any time, but their place in the ensemble will only be confirmed upon completion of a satisfactory audition. Chamber groups require a permission number from the instructor to register.
Use of School Instruments
The Music Discipline maintains a selection of instruments for use by students. This is especially useful for performers of the larger (or more expensive) instruments such as tuba, euphonium, and bassoon. However, it is also a resource to players who relied on school-owned instruments while in high school.
Students who need an instrument for auditions should contact Professor Simon Tillier as soon as possible after having arrived on campus. An instrument will be provided for the audition, and then permanently checked-out to those students who participate in an ensemble. (Note: Students who need to use a school instrument are encouraged to sign-up for one of the later audition appointments, to have as much practice time as possible on their new instrument.)
- Flute and Piccolo
- Bass Clarinet
- Alto Saxophone
- Tenor and Baritone Saxophone
- French Horn
Tuesday, August 24, 2-5 p.m.
Auditions held in HFA 180
Monday, August 30, 3:30-5:20 p.m.
First Symphonic Winds rehearsal
Friday, September 9, 3:30-5:00 / 6:30-8:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 10, 9:30-5:30 p.m.
Symphonic Winds Workshop Weekend (on-campus). Guest coaches, sectional and full rehearsals, and social activities.
Saturday, October 8, 4 p.m.
Homecoming Combined Ensemble Concert
Sunday, November 5, 4 p.m.
Symphonic Winds in Concert
Friday, December 2, 7 p.m.
Symphonic Winds Holiday Concert – ‘Tis the Season
Sunday, March 5, 3 p.m.
Symphonic Winds Concert – Musical Mavericks
Symphonic Winds Regional Tour