Good thinking. The psychology major at Morris has an excellent record of preparing students for success in the field.
The psychology curriculum focuses on understanding scientific methods and applying them to both human and non-human behaviors and mental processes. It provides students with methodological skills, practice in applying these skills, and an introduction to core areas of psychology. The major provides a comprehensive selection of courses that fully prepare students for a wide range of careers and graduate and professional studies.
Goal 1: Knowledge Base in Psychology
- 1.1 Understand the spectrum of psychological phenomena related to behavior and mental processes and how the environment (ranging from biological to sociocultural influences) affect both.
- 1.2 Obtain a knowledge of Psychology’s main content domains and applications
Goal 2: Scientific Inquiry and Critical thinking
- 2.1 Ability to use scientific reasoning to interpret psychological phenomena
- 2.2 Demonstrate psychology information literacy
- 2.3 Engage in innovative and integrative thinking and problem solving
- 2.4 Gain exposure to interpreting, designing, and conducting psychological research
- 2.5 Attain awareness of ethical issues in psychology
Goal 3: Communication
- 3.1 Demonstrate effective writing
- 3.2 Exhibit effective presentation skills
- 3.3 Exhibit effective discussion skills
Goal 4: Information and Technological Literacy
- 4.1 Exposure to psychological statistical packages
- 4.2 Ability to utilize databases related to psychology
The psychology major at the University of Minnesota, Morris, has a superior record of preparing undergraduate students for highly successful careers in the field and for higher degrees. The major provides a comprehensive selection of courses that fully prepare students for a wide range of careers:
- Biological and comparative psychology,
- Developmental psychology,
- Psychopathology, personality and clinical psychology,
- Cognition and Learning psychology,
- Social psychology,
- Applied areas of psychology such as Organizational, Health, and Educational,
- Multicultural psychology,
- Ethical standards, research methodology, and field experiences in Psychology.