Psychology Research Opportunities & Collaborations
During your time at Morris, students take part in a wide range of research opportunities, and obtain service and field experience.
Research and publication during the undergraduate years are invaluable to those seeking admission to graduate programs and highly encouraged and supported by the Psychology faculty.
Students in the Psychology Discipline produce publications as either coauthors or sole authors. In addition, Morris students present at campus, national, and regional professional and undergraduate conferences.
In 2006, Morris completed a total renovation of the Social Sciences building, John Q. Imholte Hall, which houses the Psychology Laboratory. The lab is equipped with sophisticated technology for recording physiological information, an animal lab and related experimental equipment, sound-shielded experimental cubicles, numerous computers equipped for running experiments on cognitive processes such as attention and memory, and a child observation area. The facilities are fully available for students’ research projects.
Financial support for student research is available through several venues:
- Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP), a University-wide program that provides academically talented students the opportunity to earn a stipend and research support.
- Morris Academic Partners program (MAP) provides paid research partnerships to academically talented, qualified third-year students.
- Psychology Research Apprenticeship is an award of $1000 for significant research effort over a year.
- Psychology Student Travel Grant for travel to conferences.
- Bos and Tate Travel Awards are sponsored awards for student travel to conferences and research.
- Psi Chi, the International Psychology Honor Society, offers research grants for members.
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) funding interface provides a wealth of grant possibilities to help undergraduate students pursue independent research or to assist with ongoing research projects as an intern or paid assistant.