Midwest Philosophy Colloquium
Every year the UMM Philosophy Discipline hosts the Midwest Philosophy Colloquium, where distinguished speakers come to campus and give talks on topics of general interest.
Previous colloquium speakers have included Donald Davidson, Saul Kripke, Fred Dretske, J.L. Mackie, Gilbert Harman, David Gauthier, Keith Donnellan, Kurt Baier, Alvin Goldman, David Kaplan, Paul Benacerraf, Keith Lehrer, Jonathan Bennett, John Searle, Robert Solomon, Phillipa Foot, Eleanor Stump, Fred Feldman, Nancy Cartwright, Gary Watson, Michael Bratman, Stephen Stich, and many others.
45th ANNUAL MIDWEST PHILOSOPHY COLLOQUIUM: Philosophy of Conspiracy Theory
STATE OF THE ART (SPRING 2021)
1. Public Lecture by Brian Keeley (Pitzer College): "Conspiracy Theories and Public Trust"
Monday, February 22, 7 p.m. CST, https://umn.zoom.us/j/97951107485
2. Public Lecture by M.R.X Dentith (Beijing Normal University): "The Ethics of Conspiracy Theorising in the Age of the Novel Coronavirus"
Wednesday, March 17, 7 p.m. CST, https://umn.zoom.us/j/94982746665
3. Public Lecture by Steve Clarke (Charles Sturt University/Oxford): "The New Conspiracism and the Old Conspiracism"
Wednesday, March 24, 7 p.m. CST, https://umn.zoom.us/j/94513523892
4. Public Lecture by David Coady (University of Tasmania): "Why I'm Not Talking About Conspiracy Theories"
Tuesday, April 6, 7 p.m. CST, https://umn.zoom.us/j/96888347837
5. Public Lecture by Charles Pigden (University of Otago): "What Was Wrong with Stalin?"
Wednesday, April 7, 7 p.m. CST, https://umn.zoom.us/j/92374294735
CLASSIC DEBATE (FALL 2020)
1. Conversation with Michael Levine (University of Western Australia) about Hume's "Of Miracles"
Tuesday, September 15th, 8 p.m. CST
2. Conversation with Brian Keeley (Pitzer College) about his article "Of Conspiracy Theories"
Tuesday, September 29, 6 p.m. CST
3. Conversation with Steve Clarke (Charles Sturt University/Oxford) about his article "Conspiracy Theories and Conspiracy Theorizing"
Tuesday, October 13, 7 p.m. CST
4. Conversation with David Coady (University of Tasmania) about his article "Conspiracy Theories and Official Stories"
October 27, 7 p.m. CST
5. Conversation with Charles Pigden (University of Otago) about his article "Popper Revisited or What is Wrong with Conspiracy Theories?"
Tuesday, November 10, 7 p.m. CST
6. Conversation with Karen Kovaka (Virginia Tech) about her article "Climate Change Denial and Beliefs about Science"
Tuesday, November 24, 7 p.m. CST